There are many species of ants found currently in the Bay Area with the most successful being the Argentine Ant. This species has adapted well to our urban envirnment and is right at home foraging for food in and around homes and structures. This ant is famous for their "trails", which can sometimes go several 100 feet to food and water sources. Their colonies can range in size from a few thousand to many hundreds of thousands with multiple queens which allow for greater adaptability.
We can assist you in controlling ants as well as other pests at your property. Call us today and we can offer you the best overall Intrated Pest Management options which include QualityPro Green solutions.
Ants in California
While worldwide there are more than 12,400 species of ants, there are about 270 ant species in California and only about a dozen of those are common pests. The most common ants in the San Francisco Bay Area include the Argentine ant, the Pharaoh ant, and the odorous ant.
- Argentine ant - 1/8 inch, dull brown.
- Carpenter ant - 1/4 to 1/2 inch, black or black/red.
- Odorous house ant - 1/8 inch, dark brown to shiny black, stink when crushed!
- Velvety tree ant - 1/8 to 1/4 inch, brownish black head, red thorax, black abdomen.
- Pavement ant - 3/16 inch, dark brown to black.
- Pharaoh ant - 1/16 inch, yellow or honey-colored orange.
- Red imported fire ant - 1/16 to 1/5 inch, reddish with dark brown abdomen.
- Southern fire ant - 1/8 to 1/4 inch, amber head and thorax, black abdomen, golden hairs cover body.
- Thief ant - 1/32 inch, yellow to light brown.
Damage caused by ants
Some ants can bite and it hurts! The Velvety tree ant is an aggressive biter, and other ants can sting (harvester ants.) Fire ants can really be a problem and should be reported immediately!
Ants that come inside are after food and water resources and you will usually see a long chain of them between their nest and your food source. They usually like sugar, syrup, honey, fruit juice, fats, and meat.
Managing ant problems
It's nearly impossible to totally get rid of ants or preventing them from re-appearing, as controlling ants means a combination of mechanical, cultural, sanitation, and often chemical control methods.
Ants are beneficial to your garden and they also help control other pests such as termites, fleas, and dead insects.
If you have an ant problem please don't hesitate to contact Omega!